The last teeth in the mouth to erupt are the third
molars, or wisdom teeth. The majority of the time, wisdom teeth do not
perfectly align when erupting into the mouth and need to be removed. They can partially erupt through the gum,
come in sideways, or even remain trapped below the gum and bone. Because of limited space, it is difficult to
keep these teeth clean and often infection and inflammation arise.
Removal of wisdom teeth is easier in younger patients, usually mid-teen years is the best age. At this time, the roots are not yet fully formed and the bone has less density than that of an older patient. Early removal is the key to shorter recovery and healing time, and minimizing discomfort after surgery.
Our office will schedule you for a consultation to allow Dr. Kingston to evaluate the wisdom teeth, review the panorex x-ray and discuss the need for removal. Pre-operative and post-operative instructions and prescriptions will be provided by our staff, as well as any insurance coverage.
Wisdom teeth are typically removed with general anesthesia or intravenous sedation and will require a 3-5 day recovery. Our office will be happy to provide you with any school or work excuses needed. Dr. Kingston and his experienced surgical team utilize state-of-the-art monitoring equipment for your safety.
under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian for the consultation.
Top 8 Health Reasons
To Remove Wisdom Teeth
1. Even when wisdom teeth erupt through the gum tissues, they rarely
provide any meaningful function and are always difficult to keep clean.
2. Early removal of wisdom teeth is associated with faster and easier recovery.
3. Wisdom teeth that seem to be problem-free remain a breeding ground for oral infection and inflammation.
4. Wisdom teeth may contribute to crowding of nearby teeth.
5. Gum disease and inflammation associated with wisdom teeth may lead to receding gum tissues, deterioration of the jawbone and tooth loss.
6. With age, the chance of complications related to the removal of wisdom teeth increases.
7. In some cases, impacted wisdom teeth develop associated cysts and or tumors
8. Peace of Mind.